Spending Your Budget

Quick Facts

  • All organizations funded by the SSA must attend the “Attend to Spend” Training each fall.  Download the 2016-2017 PowerPoint here.

  • Locate and print your approved budget allocation from OrgSync (located under Treasury tool in your portal).

  • Use your allocation by June 30, 2017.  Funds do not carry over into the next year.

  • All spending (travel, purchases, contracts, etc.) must comply with State of Wisconsin rules and regulations.

  • Plan Ahead! Meet with organization members at the beginning of the academic year to plan spending your organization’s allocation.

  • Treasurers are responsible for assisting other members with completing the required documentation and forms to access your budget.

  • Organizations must work with Rhonda Rubenzer, Student Org Account Manager, to spend your budget.

Where Do I Start?

When you initially apply for the annual budget or any of the three contingency funds, you will have chosen from a list of possible options to where your funds are allocated. These accounts are not interchangeable so make sure to pay extra attention to where you will be spending your budget.

Click below for information on each category and how to spend your budget.

Dining Services

If your organization is funded for food at an event, UW-Stout Dining Services must be utilized.  Every food purchase must match the approved allocation for your organization.

  1. Place order with Dining Services.  They will provide you with a catering confirmation.
  2. Advertise your Event.  All events offering food purchased with SSA funds MUST be advertised (e.g. Campus Life Today and OrgSync). 
  3. Complete and submit a Purchase Request Form to Rhonda Rubenzer along with the catering confirmation and advertisement before the event.

If your organization is funded for registration to attend a conference or event read through the registration form first. There are often various payment options to submit the registration form.   If the opportunity exists to register the entire group and pay by check, this is the best option. 

  1. Contact Rhonda Rubenzer about payment options prior to registering.  Rhonda will advise the org on how to handle registration and make a payment.
  2. Submit a Travel Authorization.  At least one Travel Auth must be submitted for the group.
  3. Submit a Purchase Request Form
  4. Turn in all completed forms, registration confirmations, conference schedules, etc., to Rhonda as early as possible.  Payment can take up to two weeks if a check needs to be sent.

If you want to have a speaker or performer come to campus, you must follow the university’s contract procedure. A minimum of six weeks prior to the event, the contract form must be submitted on OrgSync.   This time allows for the exchange of documents, signing, payment and processing.   Without a contract, your organization is liable for payment and expenses. 

  1. Organizations funded for a speaker or performer are required to attend an info session each fall.
  2. Complete the Contract Form on OrgSync at least six weeks prior to your event
  3. For assistance with a contract or planning your event, contact:

Emily Ascher, Campus Activities Coordinator
117A Memorial Student Center


Traveling with your student organization is exciting, but it also requires timely communication and attention to detail.  To use your allocated budget, you must complete the correct forms and orgs must keep receipts for everything.  Orgs will be asked to submit information such as a trip itinerary, brochures, participant lists, etc., in order to make payments or be reimbursed.  Follow the steps below when traveling with your org.

1.  Get Organized

Find out what needs to be done before, during and after travel.  Plan at least a month in advance and contact Rhonda for assistance.

Rhonda Rubenzer, Student Org Accounts Manager
117 Memorial Student Center

2. Complete the Necessary Forms for your Trip

Driver Authorization Form
Travel Authorization
Gas Reimbursement Sheet (for Personal Vehicle)
Gas Reimbursement Sheet (for Enterprise Vehicle)

3. Go on your Trip!

Remember, all student organizations are representing the University of Wisconsin – Stout and are required to follow the SSA’s Student Organization Code of Conduct as well as all local, state and federal laws. 

Other Purchases (Equipment, Printing, Supplies, Etc.)

If your organization is funded for something like equipment or supplies, purchases must be made with approved vendors as long as they carry the item you are funded for. 

  1. Check your budget to see what you’re specifically funded for. The purchase must match your approved allocation.
  2. Check with Rhonda BEFORE purchasing anything. It’s preferred she make the purchase if possible.
  3. Complete a Purchase Request Form. 

If an individual is requesting reimbursement, submit the original receipt along with the Purchase Request Form. Tax cannot be reimbursed.
If purchasing something on campus (e.g. through the Service Center) work with Rhonda to complete a Department Requisition.)