SSA Code of Conduct

The following conduct guidelines for Recognized Student Organizations and their members or designees have been formulated to ensure legal, appropriate, and responsible conduct of and when the organization and/or its members or designees are representing the organization or the University in conjunction with their organization.

To view and download a copy of the Code of Conduct visit:  https://orgsync.com/11321/files/580227/show

Student Org Alcohol Policy

As laid out in the code of conduct above, student organizations are required to follow SSA's student org alcohol policy.

  • The possession, sale, use or consumption of alcoholic beverages during and organization event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the organization, or at any event an observer would associate with the organization, must be in compliance with any and all applicable rules or laws of the university, city, county, state, and federal government.

  • Organizations hosting events, either officially or unofficially, where alcohol is present must have a licensed third party vendor.

  • Organizations may not use funds collected from member dues, fees, or collaborative fundraising efforts to purchase alcohol, nor may the purchase of alcoholic beverages for members or guests be undertaken or coordinated by any member in the name of or behalf of the organization. In addition, same funds may not be used to purchase promotional materials for unofficial events that can only be attended by those of legal drinking age.

  • Open parties, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the organization, without specific invitation, where alcohol is present, are prohibited.

  • No members, collectively or individual, shall purchase for, serve to, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor.

  • Organizations hosting events on campus where alcohol is available must follow the campus alcohol policy.

  • Organizations must hold all official organization events at locations that allow entry to persons of any age.

Campus Life Today

Campus Life Today serves as a clearinghouse for all campus e-mails. This service does not replace or modify any other service by an office on campus, which may have access to all campus e-mails.  Below are the guidelines for posting in Campus Life Today.

  • Submissions must be made through this OrgSync form at https://orgsync.com/11321/forms/62800.

  • Submissions advertising an event or meeting for student organizations, must also create the event/meeting in the organization's OrgSync portal.  For directions on how to create an event in OrgSync visit https://help.orgsync.com/entries/25119083-Creating-an-event

  • Submissions must relate directly to the university and all students (e.g. not just graduating seniors, freshman or any other segmented groups).

  • Submissions must be advertising an event, meeting or announcement that would be applicable to the general student population.

  • Submissions cannot be used to address a particular viewpoint or belief on a topic.

  • Submissions must represent more than one person's interests. For example, a single student offering his/her service to the campus is not acceptable but generally a group of students offering a service/event is acceptable

  • One must be a member of UW-Stout's faculty, staff, or a student organization.

  • Submissions must be received no later than 12:00 p.m. (NOON) the week day before you want it included (i.e. message for Tuesday must be submitted no later than 12:00 p.m. on Monday and messages for Monday are due no later than 12:00 p.m. on Friday)

  • Submissions will only be run 3 times, as directed by the person submitting the event. The suggested publication schedule is: two weeks prior, once the week of, and lastly the day of the event.

Poster Printing Policy

Each recognized student organization is allotted the following posters and copies.

  • Copies:  25 single black and white copies PER MONTH (e.g agendas, forms, etc.)
  • Event Posters:  100 color copies PER EVENT
  • Recruitment Posters: One (1) recruitment poster per semester (100 copies)


1. Posters must be submitted via this form (Copies may be be brought to the desk personally or submitted via this form).

2. Posters for events must be submitted at least 10 business days in advance or they will not be printed.

3. EVERY poster must include:

  • Organization Name
  • All Event Details - date, time, location (event posters only)
  • A Stout email address
  • Statement that says "Not produced at taxpayers' expense"  (Must be legible and large enough to view)
  • Logo for SSA if it's a SSA funded event:  Download the logo here.

4. Posters advertising events or meetings must also be created as an event in the organization's OrgSync calendar.  For assistance on how to create an event in your OrgSync portal, visit: https://help.orgsync.com/entries/25119083-Creating-an-event  

5. Posters cannot include any profanity, obscenity or reference to alcohol or violence.

6. The Involvement Center Desk reserves the right to deny poster printing due to discriminatory or offensive content.

Snack Waiver Policy

No food or beverages may be provided by campus organizations or off campus vendors unless authorization is granted through University Dining Service and the Memorial Student Center Conference and Reservations office. Unauthorized food service may result in the revocation of reservation privileges. 

Keep in mind that all recognized student organizations are eligible for 10% off the University Dining Services catering menu listed above. If you have snack waiver questions please contact mscreservations@uwstout.edu.

  • All requests to bring in outside snacks must be made through the Snack Waiver Request Form at least five (5) business days prior to the meeting.

  • The following conditions must be met for a snack waiver to be approved;

    • The request must be from a recognized student organization. 

    • It must be for a internal organization meeting focused primarily on it's members. 

    • Snack foods are defined as: chips, bakery items, fruit and vegetables. 

    • Snack foods must not exceed $50 in equivalent catering value. 

    • Home made beverages (i.e. hot cocoa or lemonade) can be snacks, any soft drinks must be purchased from UDS according to the exclusive pouring rights contract with Pepsi. 

    • Food preparation on site is not allowed. 

    • Student organizations are responsible for clean up. A fee will be assessed if room is cleaned by student centers custodial staff. 

    • Off campus delivery from outside vendors within the building and commercial catering firms are not permitted. 

    • Reservation privileges may be revoked if process is not adhered to.

Public Performance Rights

If you are a student organization wishing to show a film, you must follow the policy for gaining public performance rights.  FAQ's are noted below.

1. What are Public Performance Rights?

Public Performance Rights are the legal rights held by distributors or producers over the showing of a film outside of one’s home. The rights-holder can grant others the temporary right to show the film by selling them or granting them a Public Performance License.  

2. When do I need to obtain a Public Performance License?

A: Anytime a film is shown outside a person’s personal home, the screening is considered “public”. It does not matter if admission is charged or if the entity screening the film is a non-profit organization, school, or library. If the film is being shown outside the home, it is considered “public”.

3. What about the “Teaching Exemption”?

A: The Copyright Act allows films to be screened in face-to-face teaching situations, defined by specific criteria. To be eligible for the teaching exemption, the screening is limited to students who are enrolled in a class in which the film is a part of systematic mediated instructional activities, the instructor is present, and the screening is an integral part of the classroom session. Playing films for the department, for honors students, or as a “film series” or lecture series does not qualify for the teaching exemption, but requires a Public Performance License.

4. I bought a tape or DVD from the distributor for my school or library. Does it include Public Performance Rights?

A: Most tapes are sold without Public Performance Rights, but some tapes or DVD are sold with limited Public Performance Rights. They may enable you to play the tape for its lifetime in public screenings on your campus. However, you may not copy the tape or lend the tape to other institutions or organizations, or charge admission for the screenings you hold with that tape. These rules may vary, so check carefully with the distributor when purchasing.

5. How much does it cost to purchase Public Performance Licensing for a film?

A:  It varies by age of the film, popularity of the film and at times the distributor.  Films that are 6 months to 1 year old can be $450-$650.  Films 1 year to 3 years old can be 350-450.  Films older than 3 years can be $250-350.  Specialty films (documentaries & arthouse films) can be $0-250.  However, specialty films can be very difficult to find the proper licensing holder.

5. How can I obtain a Public Performance License for my screening?

A:  Contact Emily Ascher aschere@uwstout.edu or #4051, in the Involvement Center (MSC 117A) with the following information:

  • Title of the Film you would like to show
  • Date, Time, Location of the film screening
  • Organization sponsoring the film screening
  • Account name(s) & number(s) paying for the licensing
  • Your name, email & a phone number